Cabbage “Provencal” can be included in any holiday menu – it is a juicy vegetable appetizer, and a crispy salad with a rich, sour-sweet taste. The active cooking time is minimal – in ten minutes we chop the cabbage, add carrots, sweet peppers to it and season with vegetable oil and vinegar.
Finely chop a clove of garlic for spiciness and flavor. In addition to garlic, the list of ingredients can include fresh chili peppers, black or allspice peas, two or three cloves. The cabbage will be ready in three hours.
It can be served with potato dishes, baked and fried meat, poultry and as an appetizer for strong drinks.
- White cabbage – 1 kg.
- Sweet pepper – 1 pc.
- Carrots – 2 pcs.
- Garlic – 1 large clove.
- Sugar brown or white – 1.5 tbsp. l.
- Salt – 1 tbsp. l.
- Vinegar 9% strength – 2 tbsp. l.
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp. l.
- Boiled water – 0.5 tbsp. (125 ml).
How to cook:
1. Cut off the top withered leaves from the cabbage fork. Pour cold water over. Cut in half, chop the cabbage into thin, not very long straws. Pour the cut into a spacious bowl, where it will be convenient to mix the vegetables with your hands. Add salt and sugar.
2. Lightly rub with palms, do not press or wrinkle too much. Cabbage should give juice, but remain elastic and crispy. Add grated carrots through a coarse grater.
You can use a Korean grater, but make the straw shorter.
3. Cut out the stalk from the bell pepper, shake out the seeds. Cut into sticks or short strips. Finely chop the garlic or push it through a press. Pour the pepper and garlic to the cabbage.
4. Mix the vegetables well, pour in 9% table vinegar and refined vegetable oil. Add half a glass of boiled chilled water. Mix again. Taste, you may want to add more salt or sugar.
At this stage of cooking, the cabbage should turn out to be slightly sour, but after a while the taste will improve, the sourness in the finished snack will be barely noticeable.
5. We cover the cabbage with an inverted plate, put a load on top (a jar of water or rolls). We put on a towel and leave at room temperature for three hours. Then we transfer to the refrigerator, and, if time allows, we stand for another two to three hours.
Serve cabbage “Provencal” slightly chilled. For storage, transfer to a container or jars, cover tightly and put on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator.