Beetroot soup with ham is a cold soup that is best in summer, in hot weather, and especially after a hard day’s work. The liquid base of beetroot is a decoction of young beets with tops. To preserve the burgundy color of the beets and give the broth a slight sourness, lemon juice is added to the beetroot.
Then a crispy fresh cucumber, ham and spicy green onions are added to the cooled broth. In addition, for a richer taste, kvass and table horseradish are added to each plate. Ideally, homemade kvass is suitable for beetroot. A boiled egg makes the dish quite satisfying. And sour cream binds together all the components.
- Large beets with tops – 1 pc.
- Lemon – 1/2 pc.
- Brown sugar – 1 tsp (can be replaced with white)
- Salt – to taste.
- Water – 1.5 liters.
To serve per bowl (serves 4):
- Small fresh cucumber – 4 pcs.
- Boiled egg – 4 pcs.
- Ham – 200 g.
- Green onion – 8 feathers.
- Sour cream 20-25% fat – 4 tbsp. l.
- Unsweetened kvass – to taste.
- Table horseradish – 2 tsp
How to cook:
1. Cut off the tops of the beets. Wash the root crop, peel and grate on a grater with large holes.
2. Rinse the tops and shake off the water. Finely chop the leaves along with the petioles.
3. Boil water in a saucepan. Throw in the grated beets. Stir. Let it boil again and cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
4. Add tops to the pan.
5. Pour in sugar and salt. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from a lemon and pour into a saucepan. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and let the beetroot cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Cut the ham into thin strips.
7. Wash the cucumbers and also cut into strips.
8. Rinse the green onion feathers, dry and cut into thin rings.
9. Next, take care of serving. Pour beetroot into serving bowls. Place cucumber, ham and onion on each plate.
Instead of ham, you can add boiled sausage, boiled chicken or turkey meat to beetroot.
Add horseradish. Pour in kvass. Stir.
Peel the eggs, cut in half and place on a plate. And at the end, decorate the beetroot with ham with a spoonful of sour cream.
Serve immediately after preparation.