There is nothing better than serving lightly salted herring with mustard sauce to fragrant hot potatoes. This appetizing herring will complement your menu both on a holiday and on weekdays or fasting days. The preparation of the appetizer itself will not take much time, but the herring must be given time to soak in the aromatic sauce. It is more convenient to pour the sauce over the fish in the evening, and in the morning the appetizer will be ready.
- Lightly salted herring – 1 pc. (300 g).
- Onion – 1 pc. (50 g).
- Dijon mustard – 2 tsp
- Sunflower oil – 3 tbsp. l.
- Vinegar 9% – 1 tbsp. l. (16 g).
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp (4 g).
- A mixture of peppers – to taste.
- Green onions – a few branches.
1. We take slightly salted herring. We cut off her head, tail and fins. We cut the tummy of the fish, throw out the insides. Then we carefully clean the inside of the abdomen from dark films. Having made an incision on the back of the herring, we remove the skin from the carcass. We cut the herring along the ridge into 2 parts. Now we cut off the ridge from the part to which it moved away. We take out large bones from both parts of the fillet and discard. We cut the two finished parts of the fish fillet into slices about 7 mm thick.
2. Having peeled the husk from the onion, cut the onion with feathers. White onions can be replaced with red.
3. We send the chopped onion to the herring.
4. Now we prepare the sauce. To do this, mix vegetable oil, sugar, a mixture of peppers, vinegar and Dijon mustard in a suitable bowl.
If there is no mustard with grains, then it can be replaced with ordinary mustard.
We mix everything well. The sauce should be the consistency of liquid sour cream.
5. Pour the herring with onions with the prepared sauce. We leave the fish to marinate in mustard sauce in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
6. On top of the herring appetizer with onions under mustard sauce, decorate with chopped green onions.
Enjoy your meal!