Today we offer you a recipe for the easiest homemade ketchup for the winter, without any preservatives, thickeners and various additives.
Tomato sauce is natural and very tasty. In addition to tomatoes, it also includes apples and onions, which give ketchup a puree-like consistency.
It is noteworthy that when preparing homemade ketchup, you can control its taste based on your taste preferences. For example, if you want to make the tomato sauce sweet, choose sweet varieties of apples, and if you want it to be spicy, add more spices.
- Onion – 125 g.
- Tomatoes – 1.5 kg.
- Apples – 250 g.
- Sugar – 1 tbsp. l.
- Salt – 0.5-1 tbsp. l.
- Black and red ground pepper – 0.5-1 tbsp. l.
How to cook:
1. Peel the washed apples, cut out the core (together with the seeds) and cut into medium pieces / slices. Put the chopped apples into a container (a pan with a thick bottom), in which the ketchup will be cooked further.
2. Wash the onion, remove the husk and also cut into medium pieces.
3. Wash the ripe tomatoes, remove the stalks and cut into slices / pieces. Try to cut the vegetables to roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
4. Mix chopped tomatoes with onions and apples, cover the pan with a lid and set to boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes. During this time, the tomatoes should be slightly boiled, and the onions should become soft. After the allotted time, using an immersion blender, chop the boiled vegetables with apples until a homogeneous puree mass.
If you want homemade ketchup to come out more like a store-bought one (without particles of peel and tomato seeds), grind the resulting puree mass through a fine sieve.
5. Next, put the future ketchup on a slow fire (you don’t need to cover the pan with a lid!), And stirring it from time to time, boil it for 1 – 1.5 hours (depending on obtaining the desired density). When the sauce thickens (its amount should decrease), add salt, black and red ground pepper, sugar to it. Stir.
Be sure to taste the ketchup, if necessary, adjust its taste to your liking.
After adding the spices, boil the ketchup, stirring, for about 15 minutes more.
6. Then pour into clean, pre-boiled over steam, jars and cork / roll up.
It is best to store such homemade preparations in a cool place. Happy conservation!