Borscht without meat can be cooked at home if you have the necessary set of vegetables. For the recipe, we need cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots and, of course, beets, which will make today’s dish brighter and more appetizing. Despite the fact that meat is not used, borsch will turn out tasty, satisfying and nutritious. Vegetable broth is easy and simple, and in time it will not take much of your work. If you boil beets in advance, then it will take no more than 30 minutes to cook lean borscht.
For 2.5 liters of water:
- White cabbage – 350 g.
- Potato – 250 g.
- Carrot – 1 pc.
- Onion – 1 pc.
- Beets – 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil – 2-3 tbsp. l.
- Tomato paste – 1.5 tbsp. l.
- Salt, pepper – to taste.
- Greens – for serving.
How to cook:
1. Peel and rinse the potatoes, cut into cubes of medium thickness. In this form, the potatoes will not boil soft and will retain their shape after cooking.
2. Finely chop white cabbage with a sharp knife or grate on a grater-shredder.
3. Boil water for borscht, salt a little and add potatoes.
4. Next, add cabbage, bring to a boil and cook borscht for 15 minutes. After boiling water, reduce heat and cook at low power. The water should bubble up a little.
5. While the borscht is cooking, prepare a roast of vegetables: chop the onion into small cubes, and grate the carrots.
6. Heat vegetable oil, put carrots and onions there, fry for 2-3 minutes until soft.
7. Boil beets in advance, peel and grate.
8. Add beetroot and tomato paste to the frying pan.
Beetroot will add a little sweetness to borscht, and tomato paste – sourness.
9. Simmer for another 5 minutes over low heat.
10. Potatoes with cabbage have become soft, you can add frying to borscht.
11. Stir the borsch, taste it: is there enough salt, you can add a little pepper to taste. Cook borscht with vegetable frying for another 10 minutes, so that it boils slightly.
12. Turn off the heat, let the borscht brew under the lid for 10-15 minutes. Then pour into plates, sprinkled with fresh herbs.
Delicious lean borscht will certainly diversify your menu.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.