A classic English dish, shepherd’s pie is a casserole consisting of two main parts. The meat part is minced beef, pork or poultry fried with vegetables with spices and aromatic herbs. In addition to carrots and onions, mushrooms, pumpkin or green peas are sometimes added to minced meat. The meat part is placed in a greased form and covered with mashed potatoes, to which eggs and cheese are added. Top layer is sprinkled with hard cheese and baked in the oven until golden brown.
The dish turns out to be very satisfying and suitable for serving for lunch or dinner for the whole family. Shepherd’s pie can be made from leftover mashed potatoes. Spices and herbs can be changed to taste.
- Minced chicken fillet – 300 g.
- Hard cheese – 90 g.
- Potato – 0.4 kg.
- Egg – 1 pc.
- Carrots – 95 g.
- Onion – 70 g.
- Green peas – 60 g.
- Ketchup – 35 ml.
- Vegetable oil – 30 ml.
- Dry garlic – 1 g.
- Savory – 1 g.
- Salt, pepper, butter – to taste.
How to cook:
1. Peel potatoes, cut into 4 parts, put in a saucepan. Boil until soft in salted water.
2. Onion cut into small pieces.
3. Cut carrots into cubes.
4. Saute carrots with onions in vegetable oil until transparent. Add mince. Continue frying the ingredients, breaking up the lumps of minced meat with a spatula.
5. Add salt, pepper, spices. Add peas and ketchup. Stir and cook the filling for another 2 minutes under the lid.
6. Mash boiled potatoes, put soft butter. Salt the puree.
7. Pour grated cheese (half), add an egg. Stir mashed potatoes until smooth.
8. Put the meat base in a greased ceramic form. Flatten and crush the filling.
9. Place a thick layer of mashed potatoes on top of the meat.
10. Sprinkle the puree with coarsely grated cheese. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 50 minutes.
Serve the shepherd’s pie in the form in which it was prepared. The pie has a ruddy cheese crust and a pleasant meat taste. Mashed potatoes gently cover the juicy meat filling. Serve with Worcestershire sauce and a glass of white wine.