The recipe for how to bake chicken on a can of beer in the oven came to us from the Soviet past, when housewives did not yet have the opportunity to bake meat in their sleeves. The chicken was seated on a can of beer (or water) and baked in this form until fully cooked. As a result, the meat turned out to be very juicy, and on top it acquired an appetizing golden crust.
To make the “drunk” chicken tasty, it must first be marinated. Choice of marinade of your choice – you can use a traditional sour cream sauce (sour cream plus spices) or a more complex marinade based on beer, mustard, pomegranate, tomato and spicy sauce (more in our step-by-step recipe). In the latter case, the chicken on beer will turn out with a light aroma of an intoxicating drink, which will be appreciated primarily by the male audience.
- Whole chicken – 1 pc. (1700).
- Beer – 1 can (500 ml).
- Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp. l.
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Pomegranate sauce – 1 tbsp. l.
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Black ground pepper – 0.5 tsp.
- Sweet paprika – 2 tsp
- Dried ground garlic – 1 tsp.
- Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp. l.
- Hot sauce – 0.5 tsp.
How to cook:
1. Rinse the chicken, and then rub the outside and inside well with salt and black pepper.
2. Prepare the marinade. Mix 3 tbsp. l. beer (from the total amount), vegetable oil, mustard, pomegranate sauce, granulated garlic, sweet paprika, tomato and spicy sauce.
3. Dip the chicken into the resulting marinade and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Turn from time to time so that the sauce soaks evenly.
4. Pour the remaining beer into a jar – choose one so that the chicken stands steadily on it when baking.
Please note that the beer should be warm, not cold, so remove the can from the refrigerator in advance, let it warm up to room temperature.
And you don’t need to fill the jar to the brim, it’s enough to have 2/3 of the volume (otherwise the beer will boil away a lot and overflow).
5. Place the chicken on the jar so that it does not fall.
6. Poke the upper part of the carcass (in the throat area) with toothpicks so that moisture does not escape through the hole. Wrap the extreme phalanxes of the wings down and also prick them with toothpicks or wrap them in foil so that they do not burn. Pour water onto the baking sheet – so during the baking process the fat will not burn, which will drip from the chicken onto the baking sheet.
The water level should be 1-1.5 cm, but not more, otherwise the bird will be stewed and not baked.
7. Send the design to the oven, preheated to 180 degrees. Roast the chicken for 90-120 minutes until done (pierce in the thickest part, clear juices should come out). You can also brush the chicken with the remaining marinade, then the crust will bake evenly on all sides.
8. When ready, remove the chicken from the jar – carefully, hot!!! Cool slightly, cut into portions and serve. The meat is very juicy, even in the breast area.
There is a beautiful crust on top, and the chicken itself smells like an intoxicating drink.
Enjoy your meal!