Cossack-style cabbage is significantly different from ordinary sauerkraut, it is rather pickled, because vinegar is used in the cooking process, which allows the cabbage to remain very crispy and cook incredibly quickly. If you have to wait for sauerkraut for several days, and maybe even more, then this appetizer will be ready exactly 24 hours after it is filled with marinade.
Cooking Cossack-style cabbage is as easy as shelling pears, and its taste will pleasantly surprise every1. For greater success, you should use juicy carrots and sweet fleshy bell peppers. They perfectly complement the cabbage and create a real masterpiece.
- Cabbage – 1/2 medium head.
- Garlic – 1-3 cloves.
- Bulgarian pepper – 1 pc.
- Carrot – 1 pc.
- Water – 500 ml.
- Vegetable oil – 500 ml.
- Bay leaf – 1-2 pcs.
- Salt – 7 g.
- Vinegar – 50 ml.
- Sugar – 1 tbsp. l.
How to cook:
1. Grind the prepared vegetables – chop the cabbage.
2. Grate carrots. Peel the peppers and cut into thin slices in the form of straws. Peel the garlic and chop finely.
3. Grate carrots. Peel the peppers and cut into thin slices in the form of straws. Peel the garlic and chop finely.
4. After that, take a glass jar and put cabbage in it, you can tamp it a little.
5. Next, prepare the marinade, thanks to which the cabbage turns out so tasty and rich. Put water on the stove, add sugar and salt, one or two bay leaves, bring to a boil. Next, pour the vegetable oil into the water and bring to a boil again. When the marinade is ready, do not forget to add vinegar to it.
6. After that, while the marinade is hot, pour it into a jar of cabbage.
7. Leave at room temperature for exactly one day.
It is best to store such cabbage in the refrigerator, always with the lid closed. When serving cabbage, you can sprinkle it with your favorite herbs, and also add onion, cut into thin half rings, to taste.
Enjoy your meal!