With the beginning of the eggplant season, we offer a delicious stew with the addition of sweet bell peppers and red ripe tomatoes. Modern varieties of eggplant do not contain bitterness at all, so the stage with adding their salt and further washing in water is no longer relevant and significantly reduces the process of preparing various twists for the winter from this wonderful vegetable.
For 2 cans 0.5 l:
- Eggplant – 800 g.
- Sweet pepper – 150 g.
- Onion – 100 g.
- Carrots – 100 g.
- Red tomatoes – 300 g.
- Refined vegetable oil – 50 ml.
- Garlic – 4 cloves.
- Dill greens – ½ bunch.
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 3 tsp
- Vinegar 9% – 3 tsp
How to cook:
1. For our eggplant stew with sweet pepper for the winter without sterilization, we will prepare all the products on the list. The weight of vegetables is indicated already in a peeled form.
Wash all vegetables first and remove skins and seeds. Cut the stalks off the tomatoes. Eggplants are desirable to use young ones with underdeveloped seeds. Such fruits have a tender, without bitterness pulp and they are prepared quite quickly.
2. Cut the tomatoes into thin slices, rub the carrots on a coarse grater.
3. We cut the eggplant into thin slices, sweet peppers and onions into strips.
4. Pour the oil into a deep-bottomed saucepan and add the onions and carrots. Simmer over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until onion is translucent.
5. Add eggplant with sweet pepper and continue to simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
6. Now it’s time for the tomato slices. Lay it on top of the vegetables.
7. Add salt and sugar at this stage, cover the saucepan with a lid and continue to simmer the vegetables for another 15-20 minutes. In the process of cooking, once gently mix with a wooden spoon and taste for salt.
Vegetables should become soft, but not boiled into porridge.
We do not add fire, the boil should be quiet, without active bulbs, so that nothing burns.
8. 5 minutes before the readiness of our stew, add finely chopped garlic and dill, a mixture of peppers to taste. Turn off the heat, pour in the vinegar and quickly mix everything.
9. We prepare jars for preservation in advance: wash in hot water with baking soda, rinse in clean water and sterilize in any convenient way. We also boil the lids in water for 1 minute. We quickly lay out hot vegetables in clean jars.
10. We cover the jars with lids and twist them until they stop. For additional sterilization, it is advisable to cover the jars with the workpiece with a thick towel or warm blanket and leave it in this form until it cools completely. We store such preservation in a cool dark place. If there is a dry underground in the house, then this will be the best option, but a pantry in a city apartment is also suitable for storing vegetable twists.
Eggplant stew with sweet peppers for the winter will diversify your family menu and serve as an excellent addition to a variety of dishes on the winter table.
Enjoy your meal!