Want to cook delicious and juicy fish in a crispy batter? Then this recipe is for you. Today we offer to make fish in onion batter. The onion itself will not be felt, but its presence in the batter will give a special piquant touch to the whole dish. If you choose fish, then just use one that has few bones, preferably from marine varieties. It can be either a fish fillet or a whole fish.
- Sea fish (hake or pollock) – 2 pcs.
- Large onion – 1 pc.
- Chicken egg – 1 pc.
- Wheat flour – 2-3 tbsp. l.
- Starch – 2-3 tbsp. l.
- Soda or baking powder – a pinch.
- Sour cream – as needed for batter.
- Salt – to taste.
- Spices – to taste.
- Garlic – optional.
- Vegetable oil – to taste.
How to cook:
1. Defrost fish carcasses beforehand, rinse and clean from the husks and entrails. Cut the fish into small portions. Large pieces may not fry well when you cook it in batter. Salt and pepper the fish and set aside.
By the way, if you like to add garlic to fish, do it now, when the fish is salted. You can sprinkle with dry garlic or grated fresh.
2. Prepare the onion batter. Take one large peeled onion. Now you need to either grate it on a fine grater, or grind it in a blender to a homogeneous gruel.
3. In a bowl, combine the onion mass, one chicken egg, flour and starch.
4. Stir the onion batter, adjust the consistency. The batter should not be runny or too thick. If necessary, you can add a spoonful of sour cream or kefir to the batter if it is too thick. Add a pinch of soda quenched with lemon or a teaspoon of baking powder to it.
Add salt and spices to the batter as desired, remember that the fish is already a little salty.
5. Heat up the pan, pour vegetable oil. Dip the pieces of fish into the batter, and then move to fry in a skillet over medium heat. Put the finished dish in onion batter on paper napkins, and then on a plate.
6. Serve with tartar sauce.