Classic tartare is made with homemade mayonnaise made from yolks (boiled and raw), mustard and vegetable oil, with the addition of pickled cucumbers and olives, which give it a signature sour-spicy taste. But if the guests are already on the doorstep and there is no time to make homemade mayonnaise, then you can make the sauce from the purchased Provence.
A quick mayonnaise tartare recipe (like its classic version) is suitable for fish and seafood, as well as cold roast beef. An obligatory component of the sauce is green onions. For piquancy, additives such as capers and chopped garlic are introduced. And cucumbers will be responsible for the sour taste – pickled ones will be needed, not barrel ones. Best suited gherkins, can be spicy.
- The “chip” of the sauce is that the products must be cut into small pieces. They should be felt, not dissolved in tartar. Therefore, be sure to grind everything by hand, and not use a blender.
- Remember that the cucumbers, capers, and olives will give the sauce just the right amount of salt, so you don’t need to add any at all.
- For those who seek to reduce calories, it can be recommended to partially replace mayonnaise with sour cream or Greek yogurt. The sauce will then turn out lighter and less high-calorie.
- To taste, you can add lemon juice, sugar and more garlic to the sauce if you want to get a brighter and more piquant taste.
- Mayonnaise – 200 g.
- Pickled cucumbers (gherkins) – 2 pcs.
- Capers – 1 tsp
- Pitted olives – 2-4 pcs.
- Garlic – 1-2 cloves.
- Mustard (ready) – 1 tsp
- Green onions – 3-4 feathers.
- Dill – 2-3 sprigs.
How to cook:
1. Mix mayonnaise with mustard.
2. Peel a couple of garlic cloves, crush with the flat side of a knife and chop finely. Cut the olives and capers into small cubes as well.
3. Finely chop the gherkins and send them to the other ingredients.
4. Top the sauce with finely chopped dill and onion.
5. Mix very thoroughly. After that, let the sauce cool and infuse – cover and put it in the refrigerator.
Serve with fish and seafood. Tartare should be served chilled. It is best to store in a tightly closed container for no longer than 2 days.
Enjoy your meal!