Thick, fragrant, very tasty and hearty soup with lentils in Italy is prepared almost everywhere. It can be cooked both in meat broth and in water. Before serving, grated parmesan is added to a bowl of hot soup. Lentils are used both red and green, which takes a little longer to cook, but this is the choice of the hostess.
Let’s prepare the products according to the list to prepare Italian lentil soup.
- Red lentils – 120 g.
- Potatoes – 150 g.
- Onion – 60 g.
- Carrots – 70 g.
- Bulgarian pepper – 100 g.
- Fresh tomato – 1-2 pcs.
- Filtered water (or broth) – 1.2 liters.
- Sunflower or olive oil – 3 tbsp. l.
- Salt, a mixture of peppers, bay leaf, garlic, herbs – to taste.
- Parmesan cheese – for serving.
How to cook:
1. Pour peeled potatoes and lentils washed in clean water into a saucepan, pour in broth or water and put on the stove. From the moment of boiling, cook for about 20-25 minutes until the lentils are ready. Red cooks faster than green and I usually take this 1.
2. Onions, carrots and bell peppers are cut not very large into strips or cubes.
3. Saute vegetables in sunflower or olive oil until soft over medium heat.
4. We cut the ripe red tomato into cubes, after freeing it from the peel.
5. Add the tomato pulp to the frying pan to the browned vegetables and cook for another five minutes while stirring.
6. At this point, the potatoes and lentils are already cooked. Add vegetable dressing, salt and bay leaf to the saucepan. We warm the soup at a quiet boil for 2-3 minutes.
7. Lightly work the contents of the stewpan with a submersible blender, after removing the bay leaf.
8. Season the soup with chopped fresh herbs (or dried), a mixture of peppers, if desired, you can add chopped garlic and sweet paprika. Taste for salt and bring our soup to a boil. Remove from the stove and let it brew for 10-15 minutes under the lid.
Italian lentil soup is ready. Serve hot, sprinkled with grated parmesan and herbs.