Orman kebab – a hearty and rich stew of vegetables and meat – one of the dishes of Turkish cuisine. It is prepared, as a rule, in a lamb or beef cauldron with green peas, carrots, sweet peppers, onions, potatoes and tomatoes. Thanks to the addition of various spices, orman kebab is very fragrant and tasty.
- Beef or lamb – 500-600 g.
- Water – 700-800 ml.
- Carrot – 1 pc.
- Onions – 2-3 pcs.
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp. l.
- Tomatoes – 2-3 pcs.
- Salt – to taste.
- Suneli hops – 1 tsp
- Potatoes – 4 pcs.
- Hot red pepper – ¼ tsp
- Sweet pepper – 1-2 pcs.
- A mixture of ground peppers – ½ tsp.
- Ground cumin – ½ tsp
- Tomato paste – 1 tbsp. l.
- Green peas – 200 g.
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves.
How to cook:
1. Pour sunflower oil into a cauldron, heat it, then add finely chopped onion. Fry for a couple of minutes, stirring, over medium heat.
2. Cut the beef or lamb into small pieces (if necessary, remove the hymen), add to the onion. After that, cover the cauldron with a lid and simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally (preferably over medium heat). During the stew, the meat will release juice, in which it will first be stewed.
3. After the liquid begins to evaporate (after about 20 – 30 minutes of stewing), so that the meat does not burn, pour hot water into it.
4. Cut the carrot into circles / large cubes and add to the meat 1 hour after stewing. Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid closed.
5. Then add the tomato paste and the skinless tomato slices.
6. Gently mix the future orman kebab, then put in it the potatoes cut into large pieces and sweet peppers.
7. Salt to taste, add all the spices and mix well.
8. Next, pour boiling water over the Turkish stew (the water should almost completely cover the potatoes) and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Lastly, add green peas (you can use either fresh or frozen peas) and diced garlic. Simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked (approximately about 10 more minutes).
10. At the end of cooking, be sure to taste the orman kebab for salt, add salt if necessary. Serve hot.