Pine cone jam is a favorite treat for adults and children. In addition to exceptional taste, it strengthens the immune system and is indispensable in the fight against viral infections and colds.
For jam, choose cones with a size of no more than 4 cm, and the best delicacy is obtained from fruits 1.5-2 cm. The assembly should be carried out in the forest, away from industrial areas until mid-May. Use a pectin mixture as a thickener, for additional aroma and taste, you can add lime or lemon. Sugar can be replaced with honey or natural syrup. Aromatic additives can be chosen according to your taste. Juniper berries, cardamom or cinnamon are ideal.
- Pine cones – 200 g.
- Sugar – 250 g.
- Lime – 1 pc.
- Water – 150 ml.
- Citric acid – 0.5 tsp.
- Cardamom – 1 tsp
- Pectin mixture – 1.5 tbsp. l.
How to cook:
1. Peel the cones from the remnants of the needles, rinse in running water and put in a bowl. Soak in cool water for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the zest from the lime with a special knife.
3. Peel off the bitter white skin. Lime cut into semicircles, remove the seeds.
4. Put sugar into an enameled pan, add water and lime. Boil. Remove foam.
5. Remove the attachment points from the cones. It is convenient to do this with ordinary scissors.
6. Put the cones in the prepared syrup and boil for 5 minutes over low heat. Leave the jam for 12 hours to cool.
7. Continue to cook in 3 sets of 5-4-3 minutes, followed by complete cooling. Add the crushed lime zest for the last time.
8. Pour in the pectin mixture.
9. Enter cardamom and citric acid. Boil, pour the workpiece into pasteurized jars. Cover with clean, dry lids. Remove to closet. Store at room temperature for 1 year.
The jam has a pleasant sweet and sour taste with a light nutty aftertaste and a pine smell. Dessert is perfect for serving with tea. The cones are edible, they can decorate New Year’s desserts or themed pastries. The syrup can be used as a topping for cheesecakes, pancakes, ice cream and for making drinks, smoothies and cocktails.