From simple ingredients that go well together, you can make a very bright and festive salad. Such a salad will easily decorate both New Year’s Eve and any feast, at which many of your guests will gather.
As a basis, you can take any of your puff salad. This time we will make a salad of lightly salted Norwegian herring and vegetables. And the salad will be decorated with pink pancakes, which resemble rosebuds in the finished dish.
- Potatoes – 3-4 pcs.
- Large carrots – 1-2 pcs.
- Large beets – 1 pc.
- Salted Norwegian herring – 1 pc.
- Fresh herbs – for decoration.
- Homemade mayonnaise – to taste.
- Salt – as needed.
- Large chicken egg – for pancakes.
- Wheat flour for pancakes – 2-3 tbsp. l.
- Water or milk for pancakes – 100 ml.
- Vegetable oil – 2-3 tbsp. l.
How to cook:
1. Prepare salad vegetables in advance, bake in foil or boil in water. They must be cooked in their skins. Peel the cooled potatoes and carrots, set the beets aside for now.
2. For salad, pick up a flat festive plate. On a fine grater, chop the potatoes and put most of it on a plate in the first layer. You can lightly salt and pepper the potato layer to taste.
3. Lubricate a layer of lettuce with homemade mayonnaise and add lightly salted herring cut into small pieces, peeled from stones, on top.
4. Spread each layer of this salad with mayonnaise. Grated carrots add the next layer in this dish.
5. Add leftover potatoes to salad. Peel the beets, divide into two parts so that one is larger than the second. Set the smaller part aside. Grate a large piece of beetroot on a fine grater, squeeze its juice into a clean bowl. Add grated beets to the salad, grease with mayonnaise.
6. Prepare pink pancake batter. In a bowl, send a piece of the reserved beets and the juice that was drained earlier. Crack one chicken egg into a bowl and add a glass of water and a handful of flour. Blend the dough thoroughly with an immersion blender until smooth. Add a pinch of salt and a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to the resulting dough.
Adjust the consistency of the dough, you may need more water or flour.
7. Make pink pancakes in a pancake pan.
8. Now you need to twist the pancakes into rolls of several pieces. If desired, you can add stuffing to pancakes. We have a filling of melted cheese and mayonnaise.
9. Cut pancake rolls into small pieces for our roses, which will decorate the finished salad.
10. Form roses all over the salad, or just the top. Just before serving, you can also add parsley leaves or slices of kale leaf to decorate the salad with roses.
Serve this festive bright salad to the table as a cold appetizer.