Cabbage can be fermented in many ways, but the simplest, fastest and most uncomplicated is fermenting a vegetable in its own juice. The most common jar, an enameled pan, or a plastic container of a suitable size is suitable as a dish. As a press, an ordinary glass of water, a jar, a plate with a load on top are suitable.
Cabbage for the preparation of this recipe should be purchased fresh white. She should not have sluggish leaves on top. In addition, they should not have any stains or rot. The juicier the cabbage itself, and the thinner it is cut, the tastier and crispier it will turn out. Therefore, you should choose and cut a vegetable carefully and conscientiously.
- Cabbage – 1 kg.
- Carrot – 1 pc.
- Bay leaf – 1 pc.
- Peppercorns – 3-5 pcs.
- Salt – 15 g.
How to cook:
1. Remove the top leaves from the white cabbage. Chop the vegetable as finely as possible on a cutting board.
For cutting, an ordinary large kitchen knife or a special one for chopping vegetables is suitable.
2. Peel and grate the carrots on a regular coarse grater.
You can use a Korean carrot grater, but in this case, the vegetable will turn out to be long strips and this must be taken into account.
3. In a large bowl, mix carrots and cabbage.
4. Add salt to vegetables.
5. After that, mix everything well with your hands, squeezing the vegetables a little.
6. Wash glass jar. For 1 kg of cabbage, a jar of 850 ml is suitable. Put the vegetables as tightly as possible in a jar, periodically pressing them down with a rolling pin for dough.
7. Put peppercorns and bay leaf broken into several pieces on top.
8. Leave the jar on the table for a day at room temperature. After a day, pierce the cabbage from all sides with a wooden stick.
9. Then cover it with a nylon lid and leave in the refrigerator for another 3 days.
Here is such a cabbage turned out!
Enjoy your meal!