Turkish cabbage rolls are somewhat different in composition and, accordingly, in taste from our beloved native Russian cabbage rolls. In Turkey, cabbage rolls are prepared from both cabbage and grape leaves with a juicy, spicy filling, mainly from ground beef with plenty of rice or bulgur, and with the addition of vegetables and tomato paste. The proportions of products for the filling for each hostess may be different, but the composition is approximately the same.
This time we deviated a little from the traditional recipe and instead of ground beef we took minced turkey and slightly reduced the amount of cereal in relation to meat. Cabbage rolls turned out to be very tasty, satisfying, with a fragrant juicy filling inside.
We will prepare the necessary products according to the list. Bulgur can be replaced with the same amount of rice if desired.
- White cabbage – 1 pc.
- Minced beef (veal, turkey) – 300 g.
- Rice round – 150 g.
- Bulgur – 120 g.
- Sweet pepper – 1 pc.
- Medium onion – 2 pcs.
- Medium-sized tomato – 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil – 50-60 ml.
- Tomato paste for filling – 1 tbsp. l.
- Tomato paste for sauce – 1-2 tbsp. l.
- Garlic – 3-5 cloves.
- Salt, a mixture of ground peppers, herbs – to taste.
How to cook:
1. Cut sweet pepper and onion into small cubes. Wash and clean vegetables first.
2. We also cut the tomato into a medium-sized cube, greens (this time we have only dill) and chop the garlic with a knife.
3. Add chopped vegetables, herbs, tomato paste, bulgur and rice to the minced meat. We pre-wash the cereal under running water. Season with salt and pepper to taste, pour in vegetable oil.
You can take any oil to your taste – we usually use refined sunflower oil.
4. We mix the filling for juicy Turkish cabbage rolls in a bowl until all the ingredients are combined into a homogeneous mass and put in the refrigerator.
5. We cut out the stalk from the head of cabbage, place it in boiling salted water and sequentially sort it into separate leaves. We carefully cut off the thick veins at the base of the sheet with a sharp knife and lightly beat it with a wooden mallet so that the sheet becomes softer and does not break when forming cabbage rolls.
6. Put the stuffing on a cabbage leaf and wrap it in the form of an envelope.
7. We spread the cabbage rolls in one layer in a saucepan quite tightly.
8. We dilute the tomato paste for the sauce with hot boiled water, add a little salt and pour it into a saucepan with cabbage rolls. Sprinkle chopped herbs on top, add bay leaf if desired and put on the stove. Simmer under a lid over low heat for about 40-45 minutes.
Turn off the heat and leave in this state for another 15 minutes.
9. Juicy Turkish cabbage rolls are ready. We spread the cabbage rolls on a plate, sprinkle with herbs on top and serve hot to the table. If desired, pour the sauce in which they were stewed or sour cream.